“How-To” Sustainability | Ecology for People Ecosystems | Short and Micro Films
Videos and Articles
We hope to connect you to your land to understand your place in the ecosystem and the world. As we barrel ahead into the future, we must each individually see the path of each resource we consume. Let’s empower ourselves by growing our own food, restoring our local ecosystems (our homes), and connecting directly with our communities to be a part of a new future!
What is Permaculture? Can Intentional Communities give us the tools we need?
Why is Biodiversity Important?
#marine #conservation #biodiversity #socialecology
Our goal is to shape agriculture into its respective natural ecosystem. We divide categories into #biomes (or ecosystems) for practical ecology videos and articles.
What is a Food Forest (or Forest Garden)? And Why Eat Perennial Plants?
#woodland #forestgardening #perennials #ediblelandscapes #biodiversity
What is WWOOF? Can You Travel for Free?
WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities for Organic Farming) with us!
What Can We Do Right Now?
#socialchange #conservation #regenerativeagriculture #perennials #restoration
Stay tuned my friends. Here is a short list for action toward a sustainable world. We, the consumers, have the power!
- Reduce demand on industrial agriculture (local gardens, perennials, and forest garden alternatives – see beginning forest gardening video!)
- Buy from farmers who care about ecology
- Grow your own food (start small!)
- Plant a tree!
- Refuse: single-use, non-biodegradables (plastic, books, games, clothing, etc.)
- Reduce: use libraries for books, movies, games, and toys
- Reuse: upcycle, craft, and buy used resources
- Use communal spaces for gardening, laundry, cooking, living, or celebrating
- Reduce your waste and consumption (e.g. reducing food waste video)
- Eat less meat, sustainably-raised meat, or no meat
- Use renewable and natural energy
- Make decisions for seven generations in the future
- Certify or encourage certification as a Green Business
- Donate time or funds
- Join us here or one of our partner organizations
Get new articles and videos delivered directly to your inbox.
New Content Below!
Fall Earth moving and swale building Cover crop sowing Breeding livestock Collecting, ordering, and seeding nuts Harvesting: nuts – acorns, walnuts and chestnuts! Winter Bare root tree and rootstock orders Winter greens: Brassicaceae Asian greens Lettuce Mulching Pruning Cuttings for plant propagation Saving scion budwood Grafting pruned scions to rootstocks Seed starting: summer crop seedingContinue reading “Land Management and Farming with the Seasons”
This is my favorite fruit. You probably have it in your neighborhood if you live in California or in a Mediterranean climate – yet it is extremely versatile and grows in USDA hardiness zones 4 to 10. Known commonly to Native Americans and Mexicans, this delicious cactus fruit must be handled properly to avoid theContinue reading “Prickly Pear (Opuntia)”